Topband: Remotes

kq2m at kq2m.com kq2m at kq2m.com
Mon Feb 5 14:29:40 EST 2024

While the idea of using a remote to work challenging DX on 160 or other
bands had never occurred to me prior to reading about it on these
reflectors a few years ago, there is of course the simplest solution of
all and GUARANTEED TO WORK!  Just DON'T DO IT!

I realize that not everyone feels that way, but thankfully, it solves
(for me at least)
the problem of remote users although, as others have pointed out, it
often makes it more challenging to work some DX stations over a
difficult path at the possible times to work them, because now other
stations will be calling that normally would not be in that pileup.

Certainly other people feel differently and will, IMO, de facto cheat to
accomplish whatever it is they had wanted to accomplish.  And it does
mean that my and others overall accomplishment has been diminished in
the eyes of some people because of the "taint" that might be involved by
stealth remoters that cause people to wonder - did he really work and
confirm all of those stations from his own station without remote?  But
I can't control what others they think or don't think - that's on them.

I know that that I worked and confirmed all 340 current countries only
from my own station without the help of anyone else or any other
stations, whether other ops know that or not, or even care.
It took me 50 years to do it and I will always have the personal
satisfaction that comes with it, well earned.

I would NOT feel that way if I ever used a remote station to do it while
others might feel just as proud.  That's for them to decide.  Certainly
I do not look upon their "accomplishment" gotten by  using remote the
same way that I view my or others accomplishment WITHOUT using remote.
I suspect that deep down, they really don't either.

I still believe that anyone operating remote should be in a separate
category be it awards chasing or in contests. Using remote to make your
qso is NOT radio based it is by definition Internet based.  Doubt that?
Simply unplug off your modem, router and/or switch.  Can you still make
the same contact without changing your connections?  No?  Then your
contact was NOT made via amateur radio alone.  I think the technology
used to make it possible to operate that way is very cool and I have
used it myself.  I would encourage others to use it as well to solve a
host of problems that people might have in making contacts otherwise.
But let's not pretend that making qso's via remote is the same as making
them without remote.  It's NOT and never will be.  It should be in it's
own SEPARATE category. PERIOD.

I know that some people like to say that "That ship has sailed", "The
horse is out of the barn", etc. etc.  The truth is that that is PURE
BUNK!  If contest sponsors/adjudicating committees/awards committees
wanted to put remote in a separate category they could and would do so
NOW - the fact is, they DON'T want to, even though some committees see
fit to make radical changes to many rules and  categories and
creating/merging/deleting them on an ongoing basis.

73

Bob, KQ2M