Topband: remotes

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Feb 6 11:41:41 EST 2024

Yes, it think it is possible to compete with yourself even in a sport
like boxing. The point is that not everyone is going to be Mike Tyson or
Mohammad Ali. That doesn't mean that you don't strive to win. It means
that you put losing to a better fighter in perspective. You train hard,
work on improving your skills, and measure your success based on how you
measure up to older versions of yourself. Winning a fight is just icing
on the cake.

73, Mike W4EF..................

On 2/6/2024 7:04 AM, uy0zg via Topband wrote:

> The original idea is to compete with yourself..
>
> In this case, there is no need to summarize the results of the
> contests...
>
> I wonder, is it also possible to compete with yourself in boxing? :-(((((
>

> ---
> Nick, UY0ZG
> http://www.topband.in.ua
>
> Michael Tope писал(а) 2024-02-06 16:42:
>> People are driven by different things. For instance, I would be lying
>> if I claimed I wasn't competitively driven. And I can tell you that
>> at points in my life it has caused me to "lose perspective". Have I
>> been overly enthusiastic with the drive to my Alpha 91 amplifier on
>> occasion? Yes. Have I driven like an idiot in the wee hours of the
>> morning in hope of getting to my station in time to work a new one?
>> Yes. For some folks, their narcissism seems to be so bad that there
>> are no lines they won't cross to be able to claim top-dog status
>> (e.g. Europeans using North American remotes to work new ones on 160,
>> claiming to be unassisted in contests while using DX cluster
>> assistance, etc).
>>
>> I think the best advice I've ever heard in this regard is to compete
>> with yourself instead of competing with others. For instance, I can
>> almost guarantee that I will never make top 10 in the CW Sprint
>> contest. I can, however, try to best my previous scores (and
>> hopefully stave off cognitive decline). Push yourself to be a better
>> operator and/or station builder, use the accomplishments of your
>> betters to show you what is possible, take pride in your
>> accomplishments, enjoy the thrill of rare openings, and first and
>> foremost - have fun!
>>
>> 73, Mike W4EF...............
>>

>> On 2/6/2024 5:39 AM, uy0zg via Topband wrote:
>>> But in reality everything is much more complicated. We talked here
>>> in the reflector and went our separate ways..
>>> For example, someone on this list honestly earned 300 countries :
>>>
>>> http://www.arrl.org/system/dxcc/view/DXCC-160M-20240206-USLetter.pdf
>>>
>>> He's been working on this for decades. And suddenly some completely
>>> unfamiliar and envious mug without RX antennas (and maybe without a
>>> station at all) declares 320...
>>>
>>> Calling it simply injustice is not enough...
>>>

>>> 309
>>> UT5UGR
>>> W3GH*
>>> 308