Phylli -Reply

Bryan Sparrowhawk SPARHAWK@avtcorp.com
Wed, 07 Aug 1996 15:20:24 -0800

Regarding sensitivity to guy type on these inexpensive wire tension
guages....
I bet Steve, K7LXC could do a quick test on a tensioned series string
consisting of segments of Philly, EHS, wire rope, etc.  (thus all guaranteed
to have the exact same tension)  then compare the readings the Loos
guage gives from each segment.  I'd recommend testing 4 tension levels in
the 100-1000lb range where guys typically end up being tensioned.

I'll put my neck out and bet that all short coupled cable deflection type
guages, such as the Loos, will show untensioned EHS as having a
significant amout of 'tension'.. kind of a 'zero offset' due to the EHS
stiffness.

de KD7LS

>>> Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> 08/07/96 11:29am >>>
..Hi Steve -- Shouldn't this discussion have a caveat?  The Loos gauge is
designed for wire rope, which is probably close enough to EHS, but unless
a calibration chart has been developed for Phillystran it's probably not at all
accurate on that - I bet that it would show a Philly guy to be much less tight
than it really is.
73, Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr@contesting.com  LOUDER is gooder....