Torque-Controlling Guys

Geoff Howard ghoward@kent.edu
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 10:55:45 -0400 (EDT)

Looking for advice on design and sources for
guy attachments that will control tower
twisting.

The installation here is 140 feet of Rohn 45 with
a 40-2CD at 150 feet and a 48-foot boom 20
monobander at 139 feet. (These are the tops of
two-stacks that have bottoms at 70 and 60
feet.)

Mast/rotor arrangement at the top is very solid
(2.5 inch high strength alloy and a prop pitch), but
the whole tower turns at the top about 5 degrees or
so when the wind blows or when the rotor starts
and stops. I have a massive rubber shaft-coupler
between the rotor and the mast that helps absorb
shock-torque, but the top couple of sections
turn nonetheless.

Should I be worried? I am considering going
to a dual-guy arrangement for the top set of
guys, with the big torque-controlling ears at
the top (not sure of the correct terminology.)

Anyone know if these attachment brackets are Rohn
stock, and the best way to calculate how much torque
they will assest?

  Thanks and 73,

     - Geoff, W0CG, Suffield, Ohio