Towers and ice.

jim funk jfunk@adams.net
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 00:10:08 -0500

>WD8OZL wrote: [snip}
>The next day I received a phone call from a
>gentleman from Rohn explaining that ice is not
>really a problem with high wind speed because
>the wind blows the ice off the tower.
>[snip]

        Hello, reality!  Howzabout when the ice forms, the temperature drops
and the wind picks up?  One of the largest commercial towers in central
Illinois came down during an ice storm in the mid-70's.  Big ice
accumulation + 40 mph winds = very large scrap heap.

                                        73, Jim N9JF
"The cow is of the bovine ilk.  One end is moo; the other, milk.--Ogden Nash