Tower refinishing

Bill Cotter bcotter@service1.uky.edu
Mon, 09 Dec 1996 13:34:19 -0500

Hello Everyone,

Several years ago I bought two second-hand towers (80ft Rohn-45 and a 70ft
Rohn-25) that were in excellent mechanical condition, perhaps ten years old
and showing only a dulling of their original galvanized finish. I used both
towers for about four years on our farm. Two years ago I disassembled them
and moved them to our new home. The outer surfaces were beginning to show
signs of mild surface discoloration from rust, but no signs of any deep pits
or damage. One section has one leg that is covered with fine rust, but
appears to be minor damage that could be cleaned up with light sanding. I
will be reinstalling both of these towers this spring, but before I do I
want to refinish them with a proper, long lasting exterior coat.

What have you folks found to be the best permanent method(s) for refinishing
galvanized steel towers? What should I avoid doing?

Many thanks....

Bill, N4ALG

| Bill Cotter, Mgr, Research & Development Mail:   bcotter@pop.uky.edu |
| Communications and Network Systems       Pager:  (606) 259-6082      |
| Parking Structure-2,  Room-4,  0198      Phone:  (606) 323-6474      |
| University of Kentucky                   FAX:    (606) 257-9400      |
| Lexington, KY 40506-0198                 Home:   (606) 887-5563,2402 |