Long masts, winches

n4si n4si@techinter.com
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 22:22:36 +0000

> Sammie,
> About the mast:

     (long description of installing a large mast inside a tower)

> 73, Glenn K6NA

Glenn,

What an excellent method and description of the long mast! I have a
fair amount of experience in masts that are longer than twice the
height of the gin pole, and the method I use, while effective, is
not absolutely safe, as yours is. Mine requires attention to physics,
confidence, a trustworthy ground crew, and probably a tower that
doesn't exceed 80 or so feet, whatever the effective shouting
distance is. It also isn't recommended for masts that weigh more than
150 pounds.

I won't share it here, as yours is far better; and SAFER!

Thanks for the idea. Consider it stolen and prosletyzed!

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996