GAP Voyager

Ed Tanton n4xy@avana.net
Sun, 15 Dec 1996 16:23:33 -0500

I also have had a Voyager up for several years, with very good results on
all bands (OK: I don't use it on 20M) INCLUDING 160M. Gauging only by
competitive results with others having known antennas and power levels it
has done better on 160M than most other reports I have read. It is mounted
in a clearing in my back yard (which is FULL of trees.) It is a MUCH BETTER
performer on 80M & 40M-as has been reported. Until one of my friends
changed from a Ten Tec Titan (pair of 3CX800s) to an Alpha 77 (PAIR of
8877s) with beverages on rcv and a shunt-fed 70+ foot tower on tx I was
pretty competitive with him (my amp: Alpha 78 w/three 8874s [3CX400A7s].)
He is within 5 miles of me at about the same altitude.

My conclusions have been that it worked-at least-OK on 160M and did pretty
well elsewhere. It does not take up a lot of real estate, and stayed up
when that hurricaine blew so many trees down around us here near Atlanta.

I DO hope to get the other short 160M antenna-whose name escapes me at the
moment-it uses a pretty big top hat and is $500 and see if what they claim
about it compared to the GAP is true or not. Ought to be interesting!
72/73

Ed Tanton N4XY      EMAIL: n4xy@avana.net      TEL: (770)579-3933 V/MBX/FAX
189 Pioneer Trail, Marietta, GA  30068-3466

QRP-ARCI#7663    G-QRP#6779    OK-QRP#172    QRP-L#758    AdvRC#140
NORCAL#1779       NCDXF              SEDXC

Life Member:  ARRL     AMSAT     IDRA     INDEXA     QCWA     URL: Coming Soon

"Think you can, think you can't: either way you're right!"  Henry Ford