Guy Line Tension

n4si n4si@techinter.com
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 04:44:02 +0000

Editted somewhat:

> Hi Guys,

> Now the question I have has to do with guy line tension. My friend, who is
> an Industrial Arts teacher and who helped me install the set-up, says that
> the guy lines which run down to the garage roof at a steeper angle than the
> guys to the house roof- need a greater amount of tension to keep the mast
> vertical. This he claims is because of the shallower angle naturally
> requires more tension.

The way you have that worded is a little confusing, but essentially,
he is correct. Do a plot of vectors of force (simple Pythagorean
theorem stuff) and you will see that to have the same amount of
resultant horizontal force (the force that keeps the mast vertical)
for a steeper angle, requires a greater force on the guy in order to
produce that moment.

> ...but, I had the opinion that the angle of the guy to the tower
> should make NO DIFFERENCE when it comes to tensioning them and that
> I should aim for equal tension in all the lines.

You can't have equal tensions if you don't have equal angles.

> To be on the safe side..... I left the guys with the steeper angle
> much tighter than the others.... I do know that the mast is as
> vertical as I can possibly make it.

You didn't have any choice in the matter; if the mast is vertical,
the steeper guys ARE tensioned greater than the others.

> Your thoughts on this subject- on the reflector, would be much appreciated
> as perhaps this subject applies equally to guying any structure with any
> material.
>
> Thanks all,
>
> Roger, (easily snookered) K2JAS

Before Steve gets in here with his ad, let me suggest buying his Loos
Tensioner. It is relatively inexpensive, and even if it isn't so
effective for your lash-up now, will prove invaluable to your later
use, as well as your friend's.

Would you be interested in some property?

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996