Anchor Rod Failure

n4si n4si@techinter.com
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 00:18:33 +0000

> > Guess what?  The 5/8" rods are only good for 7300 lbs load, which
> > doesn't make much sense if the catalog says you need three 6700#
> > strength guys in each direction.
> >

> Yes, but you're tensioning at 10% of 6700# strength. That's three
> guys at 670# each (2010# total) load. Should be plenty of safety
> factor there.
>
> The next size certainly won't hurt, but tension on the rods may not
> have been the cause of failure; just the catalyst.

In my haste to provide worldly insights, and erudite observations, I
neglected to consider and communicate that my answer (the 10% stuff)
was a "no-wind" static circumstance.

As wind forces develop, there will certainly be more than the 10%
strain on the guys and rod, although I haven't the knowledge or
training to be able to calculate exactly what they are.

My apologies for ignoring the obvious.

Thanks to Steve and others for kindly and gently pointing out my
shortfall in my answer.

Just remember, free information or advice is worth exactly what you
pay for it!

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996