DRSI Help..... Please!!

Rod Fitz-Randolph w5hvv@aeneas.net
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 16:24:04 -0600

I have run a Packetcluster node here in Jackson, TN for 4 years.
I have depended on a DRSI type II board for the modem interface
between the computer and two Alinco transceivers.  Last week a
lightning strike on my tower introduced an AC spike that caused the
DRSI board to become defunct and keyed one of the Alinco DR-112s
continuously for 7 hours.  Needless to say the Alinco is now junk.

The DRSI board will not allow the node puter to boot up all the way.
It freezes.  By disabling the SYSOP.DAT file command that addresses
the DRSI board, I was able to determine that the puter was still OK.

I called PAC COMM and spoke with a lady there that said they would
try to effect a repair; the tech time was $35/hour; they had no
documentation; couldn't give me an estimate on repair cost; couldn't
tell me when I might get it back (or if); and finally, she asked me
if I had any documentation and if so, could I send it along because
THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY DOCUMENTATION!!!!

Halp!  I have to get the node back up.  I not only supply the local
West Tennessee DXers with DX spots (Like 7O1A) but I also supply
Paducah, KY's node (ND4X) with the S.E. PacketCluster DX spots.

The upcoming DX Contests have got to be served by the Cluster!!!
I HAVE to get the node back up as soon as possible.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A TYPE TWO DRSI BOARD THEY WILL SELL ME OR LOAN
TO ME UNTIL I CAN GET MINE REPAIRED?

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION TO THE DILEMMA IN CASE I
CAN'T GET THE DRSI BOARD REPAIRED?

Please lay out any solutions in one-syllable words....I'm not very
smart about PCs: I just want to get the node back into operation as
fast as I possibly can.  Thank you for reading this and thank you
twice for answering it.

Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph
w5hvv@aeneas.net
79 Highland Hills Cove,
Jackson, TN  38305
(901) 661-9278 (Phone - after 10 AM and prior to 9 PM)
(901) 664-7539 (FAX - any time of day or night)