Guy Wire Tension

David Robbins k1ttt@berkshire.net
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 23:31:12 +0000

Stan Griffiths wrote:

> I don't recall seeing anywhere in an article of authority where it says the
> horizontal components of steep guys must (or should) equal the horizontal

lets put it this way, any imbalance in the horizontal components at a
guy attachment point have to be made up for by bending forces on the
tower at that point.  with rohn tower that normally means that the
tower won't be straight.  adjusting tension on the guys to get the
tower straight and vertical equalizes the forces automatically.

> inch cable to the tension specified for the specified cable (which is
> probably 3/16 inch cable).  Even then, I would really probably ask a
> structural engineer what he would do.  My "common sense" could get me into
> deep trouble.  It has a few times in the past.

my common sense says to follow rohn specs as close as possible, if you
have to deviate much due to guy point limitations i would get a
knowlegable engineer to check it out.

--
David Robbins K1TTT (ex KY1H)
k1ttt@berkshire.net   or   robbins@berkshire.net