Replacement Cables

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 21 Dec 1996 12:01:08 -0500

>Am going to replace all the cables. A local company will do them in either
>galvanized (@ .30 per ft 3/16) or stainless @.60. Are stainless weaker than
>same size Galv?

     What does the factory recommend?  The Tower Prime Directive is to "do
what the manufacturer says".  Don't let price be your guide.

>This is my second Triex and am tired of replacing cables every 5/6 years.

     What made you decided to replace the cables every 5/6 years?  Surface
rust, broken cable strands, damage, or what?  From a practical standpoint,
you only have to replace the cables when there is obvious damage or broken
cable strands.  This happens at a different rate for different
locations/installations.  Lou Tristao, the big daddy of crankups, felt that
for PM every ten years was reasonable.  US Towers wants you to do it every
two years so you're in between in terms of this necessary crankup preventive
maintenance.

     You didn't mention pulleys.  Please replace the pulleys any time you
replace the cables.  They may be contributing to your cable problem plus they
make break on their own.

     BTW, don't put any grease on the cables.  The grease will tend to hold
in moisture and accelerate cable rusting.  TriEx recommends a lightweight
penetrating oil but unfortunately I can't remember the name (Primelube?).
 I'll find out and get back to you.

73,  Steve  K7LXC