Erecting Long Masts

Stan Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Tue, 24 Dec 1996 02:55:02 -0800 (PST)

>I am curious as to the need to have so much mast buried in the tower.
>Wouldn't the rotator be just as isolated from side forces with say half as
>much embedded mast as long as the intermediate support was still there?  I
>understand about erring on the side of caution but isn't this huge overkill?
>
>Happy Holidays from sunny So. Cal. (75deg today)
>
>73 de Terry KK6T

The big problem, if you are talking about 25G is the fact that you can't
mount the rotator plate anywhere there are diagonals.  This means just below
the top or at the junction of the top section and the one below it.  This is
not true of 45G since the rotator shelves are designed differently.

Given the limited choices for mounting the rotator sheves in 25G, overkill
is probably the best way to go.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com