Quad VS Yagi

Jan & Del Seay seay@alaska.net
Sat, 28 Dec 1996 14:50:57 -0900 (AKST)

At 03:40 PM 12/28/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Ron St. Laurent wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> Go with the Quad.  I have owned both a KLM KT34 and the Lightning
>> Bolt Quad.  I enjoyed the way both played.
>
>>   Yes the front to
>> back is not terrific but there are instances (contests) where you
>> may not want as much rear rejection.  The side to side appears to
>> be very good when rotating the antenna.
>
>I believe that, if you tune quad elements, you will get as much front to
>back as any triband yagi.  (There may be some reduction on the "inside"
>elements (15 and WARC), but I have heard of 20 db being achievable.
>
>Chuck, KE5FI

Chuck: Quads are capable of a much better F/B than equivelant boomed yagis.
A 2 el quad can obtain in excess of 30 dB f/b. The problem is, very few
spend the time (And it is a lot of time) tuning.
After playing with a lot of quads, I have the following "User Observations".
1)  Adding additional bands to a single set of spreaders complicates tuning
    a lot. At least doubles the tuning time.
2)  I believe it is vertually impossible to properly tune a 4 element quad.
    The interaction is unbelievable.
3)  At a given boom length and height, the quad wins, hands down.

4)  If you can keep it in the air in Anchorage, you're a better man than me!
    But, I'm gonna put another up next summer, anyway!
de KL7HF