trap losses

Tony Brock-Fisher fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 09:50:08 -0400

Right Pete!

I saw the same article. I guess an antenna with 1.66 dB loss is still
better than no antenna; hence the losses are 'Minimal"!!

The losses in a parallel coax trap are high for two reasons:

1. The coax has a lossy dielectric. While pretty good, the polywhateverthelene
in coax has higher losses than air.

2. The voltage in a parallel tuned trap, being at the effective end of
a dipole, gets very high. This contributes to higher losses, which
are like a resistance, where power dissipated is V squared over R.

There are at least two people who are now planning to see if they
can fry eggs on a KT34XA trap - Denny and myself. Film at 11!!

-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com