tower

Rattmann rattmann@cts.com
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 11:44:08 -0700

>Does anyone know if these are still available? Seems like they would
>make nice 80m 4 square elements.
>Thanks, Roger

Roger, re small aluminum tower sections you spoke of, I know of some called
Texas Tower.  These are used commonly in coastal regions such as the Gulf of
Mexico where there is significant offshore activity such as seismic
exploration, which requires extremely precise local navigation networks.
The networks often employ shore-based telemetry or radio-beacons of
different sorts.  The antennas for these temporary or semi-permanent
networks are often mounted on "Texas Tower" as it is known in the
precision-navigation industry.

I haven't had occasion to investigate their source of supply.  Presumably
you could find them listed by product in the commercial-sourcing catalogs.
I don't ever recall seeing them advertise in amateur publications. They are
unrelated to the "Texas Towers" retailer in Dallas, as far as I know.

BTW, I was glad to see someone else who believes aluminum tower would make a
good 80m vertical... as far as I'm concerned, that's ALL it's good for....
Serious antennas belong on steel tower.

73, Glenn K6NA