Guy grips

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sun, 3 Nov 1996 14:00:11 -0500

>I have another question for you (actually several questions).  I'm planning
>on using guy grips on the tower and I need to know if there is a special egg

>insulator that I'll need to use.  I currently have a supply of small egg
>insulators that I've used with 3/16 guy cable and cable clamps.  Can these
>be used directly with 3/16 guy grips?  What about 1/4 guy cable?  Someone
>resently posted a message that said type 512 insulators were required when
>using guy grips.  How does one determine what type a insulator is?
>
>Just call me Curious in Georgia!

Hi, Mike --

     Couldn't find that I gave you the courtesy of a response so here's one.

    Guy wire insulators are generally bigger and much heavier than
antenna-type egg insulators plus the cables interlock through the insulator.
 That's as opposed to having the wire at each end like an antenna insulator;
in case of insulator failure, there is still continuity in the guy wires.
 They "fail safe".  If your insulators don't do this, don't use them.  You
might order one of the real guy insulators from Texas Towers and compare it
with what you've got.  Do you have a Rohn catalog?  They have the insulators
and specs in their hardware section with photos.  If you need one, TOWER TECH
has them for $5.00.

    BTW, type 500D insulators are used for 3/16 cable and 502 have 10K pounds
ultimate strength and can be used with 3/16 or 1/4 cable.  The 512 type is a
REALLY BIG insulator and is unnecessary overkill for ham installations.

    There are specs for Preform grips and what insulators are acceptable for
a given grip size; let me know if you need more info on this or I can give
you the number of Preform so you can get the info from them and have it on
file.

    Yes, you can use Preforms on insulators.  The only difference is that you
use the second X crossover point instead of the first one.  That's the place
where the paint marks meet; each grip has two of them.

73 and good luck,  Steve  K7LXC