MA40 Plan Part III (Long)

Joe Spinosa Spinosa@msn.com
Fri, 8 Nov 96 18:14:47 UT

This is a continuation of a thread I started over a month ago.  It's about my
ongoing struggle to erect a modest tower in Concord, CA.

Quickly, here's where I've been.

1) Part I:  I decide that I want to put up a US Tubular Tower model MA40.  My
XYL hates the idea.  I find that my XYL hates antennas period.  Gentle
persuasion and bribery eventually clear the way.

2) Part II:  After calling the city building department, which referred me to
the city planning commission, I find that the city has never encountered such
an odd request.  Why is this private citizen trying to erect what clearly
seems to be a commercial antenna structure on his private, residential zoned
parcel?  I'm told that a land use permit will be required.  This involves
public hearings, tons of paper work, notifying the public, maybe even
modifying the city's General Plan.  Oh yes, the application fee is $2,640 --
Non refundable.

I explain that I'm just an amateur operator.  There must be some mistake.
Surely we've gotten off on the wrong track etc.

I decide:  Screw the city.  I'll do this myself, with the cooperation of my
neighbors, who I contact via letter.

I ask for, and get, much sound advice from you folks on this reflector.

I decide:  I forgot about homeowner's liability insurance.  Looks like I'll
have to go back and somehow deal with the city.  Horror stories about
insurance adjusters finding one thing on the property not up to code, or
constructed without permits, negating an otherwise legitimate claim.

I go on the internet and find 381 amateurs listed in Concord.  I get out an
old map and grab the XYL and go-a-tower-hunting.  I'm hoping to find some
fellows with towers and ask "Hey, I want to put up a tower too.  How'd you get
away with it?"

Here's where I am (Part III):

Out of the 14 neighbors I contacted, 8 have responded.  Most had some
concerns.  So far, nobody is vehemently opposed.  One neighbor looked at the
US Tower marketing material I had and commented "Hey Joe, why don't you go for
the 89' model?"  Wonder if this could be a future ham?  Most said they just
don't care what I do in my back yard.  One was concerned about my blocking the
view of Mt. Diablo.  One had serious concerns about TVI/RFI, having had a bad
experience in the past.

In short, while my neighbors may not be cheering in support, I don't think I
have any serious opposition.  There's always the 6 that didn't respond though.

The tower hunt turned up some beautiful towers here in Concord.  I might add
that there were also several Extra Class addresses with just the tip of a
Ringo Ranger type VHF/UHF antenna peeking above the roof.  Driving by, I would
tell my wife to say a little prayer for the poor guy.  "There's an Extra Class
ham lives there honey, and look, not an antenna in sight."  She thinks I'm
nuts.

Mixed results after talking to two or three of these guys though.  One fellow
told me "Just put up the tower and DON'T TELL ANYBODY!"  "If anyone complains
the city will make you take it down anyway."  Hmm, on to the next guy.

"I don't know about the current city regulations, my tower has been up since
the stone age and ain't nobody gonna make me take it down now!"

The next guy was a real treat.  Friendly as could be, and very blunt:  "I went
to the city back in '89, they told me the same as you, nothing above 30'
without some convoluted variance and a ton of money.  I walked right out of
there.  Now I'm of the mind, Blank Blank the Blankety Blank city, and double
Blank the Blankety Blank Blank Blank neighbors!"  You get the idea.

Obviously, nobody had the information I was looking for.

Several people have told me that when it comes to tower erection, there's the
"nice guy" approach and the "no more nice guy" approach.  Seems like nice guys
don't get their towers.  I hate being an Alpha Hotel.  I hate even more being
forced to be an AH.

On another bent, I sent for the Uniform Building Code calculations from US
tower.  For $25 they sent me a bunch of photocopies of handwritten material.
Not pretty, but its all there.  Here's the kicker:  The MA40 Tubular I want to
put up, and have sold the neighbors on, can only handle 2.3 square feet of
antenna load at 70mph exposure "C".  2.3 square feet!  This is lame!  The
marketing material says 10 square feet at 50mph, but is anyone zoned for
50mph?  Seriously, what's 2.3 square feet anyway, a couple of toothpicks on a
number 2 pencil?

Yet another hurdle.  I just got done telling the neighbors that the tubular
tower was the way to go.  Kids can't climb it.  Looks slender and clean like a
lamp post.  It's not big and ugly like the traditional triangular design with
all the zig-zagging cross bracing.  Now it looks like I'll have to turn around
and say "Never Mind!  Gonna put up the ugly kind anyway!"  Jeeze Louise, its
enough to make me think about taking up residence at the bottom of the tower
hole!

Mixed news on the city front:  If I submit the land use permit, my friendly
planning commission person will submit it to the director of city planning who
has the discretion of assigning the lower level "A" fee as opposed to the
level "C" fee.  So, instead of $2,640 it will ONLY be $1,500.  Wow.  Don't you
just love these characters?

Oh, and the city is now aware of PRB-1.  I'm told that their interpretation is
that  just by having the "land use permit" process in place, they have
conformed to reasonable accommodation.  In short, their idea of reasonable
accommodation is:  You pay $2,640 and you have a public hearing.  If anyone
objects, we nix the whole project and you don't get your money back.  Sounds
fair doesn't it?

OK Joe, so what are you going to do?

Well friends, my wife says I'm as stubborn as an ox.  I'm bound and determined
to put something up.  As far as I'm concerned, as long as the CEO/XYL and my
immediate neighbors don't object, I'll continue digging the hole and drooling
over tower catalogs.  When the hole is dug and the finances are in place,
something is going to happen.

I will continue to work with the city.  However, I cannot pay the $2,640 with
no guarantee of obtaining a permit.  I've become a bit of a nuisance to the
person I am working with on the planning commission.  She has not returned my
last two voice-mail messages.

The ridiculous fee is only half the story.  I would actually pay, if it were a
rubber stamp kind of deal.  Let an engineer look at the drawings, heck, even
send an inspector out to check the hole and/or the finished installation.
Fine.  But to spend all the money, and prepare everything, only to have it
nixed at some public hearing is absurd.  Where are you when that happens?
$2,640 poorer, and absolutely no chance of ever erecting anything.  In fact,
we might start looking at what you already have up on masts around the yard...

Again, I'm not trying to build a sub-division here, I'm just a humble amateur
radio operator!

Perhaps by the holidays, there will be some good news.

Questions this time around are:  Anyone know of a real beefy tubular type
tower that could handle, say, 6 sq. ft. at 70mph?  That way I wouldn't have to
deal with the neighbors again.  Personally, I like the idea of a tubular, but
it has to be safe.  Wonder if buying a larger model from US Tower, but only
using the bottom two sections, would be a solution.  Of course, someone would
probably need to re-calculate all this.

Anyone think I should continue talking to other tower owners in Concord?  I
have another 4-5 on my list.

Anyone think I should QRT and join the XYL in the sewing room?

Best Regards,
Joe Spinosa
KF6CWX
Concord, CA