Shunt-fed tower

Chuck Brudtkuhl cbrudtk@uswest.com
11 Nov 1996 23:26:38 -0600

  REGARDING           RE> Shunt-fed tower

Steve, assuming you want to use this for DX (why else would anyone have a
beverage ant?), and based soley on your description associated with your
request.......

You have spent the most effort on the least important part and no effort on
the most important part?  It is nice to have a 1:1 match, but not nearly as
important as ........ WHERE ARE YOUR RADIALS or some other form of ground
return.  Two reasons.... a vertical without radials makes a good "local"
antenna compared to what you are really after (for DX),  and without a good rf
return path, the ant effeciency is not good at all.  I won't get into the loss
of effeciency do to ground losses, etc.    So, not knowing the grounding
situation or radial situation, and not knowing under what conditions you think
it is not "talking" well, that is where I sure would look first.  Is it more
"lively" on rx than the beverage on DX signals or on stateside signals.... I
would expect the latter...... ESPECIALLY with no radials.

When I put radials down under a vertical I usually do it with a noise
bridge.... when the ant input Z gets close to what the laws of physics says it
should be, I figure that at least I have enuf radials down to make the antenna
effecient in power transfer.......  Yet compared to some, my 2500 feet of
radials under my 80m vertical is hardly a start, but it lets me get into EU
most anytime I want so I'm happy.  I just wish I had ur beverage to cut the
QRN on rx so I could hear them as good as they claim to hear me!!!   Gud luck
es gud DX!!!

73 de Chuck
WA0ROI