ORION 2800 solution!

Sante ( IK0HBN ) ik0hbn@isa.it
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 02:09:18 +0100

Hi everybody.
Mike Staal gave me the solution for linking an Orion 2800 to computer. Below
it's his message:

>HELLO SANTE,
>
>The wiring for RS232 is easy.  Buy a cable with DB9 connector to match the
>SERIAL DB9 on the back of the RC2800 control unit.  The other end goes to
>your COM 1 or COM 2 SERIAL port on your computer.  9 wires, pin 1 to pin1 pin
>2 to pin 2 etc. Then if you have PROCOMM or Windows program, get in the
>TERMINAL. Set the baud rate to 9600, choose the right COM port and then
>follow the instructions in the RC2800 manual. that will at least let you
>control the rotator from your keyboard.
>
>I don't know if K1EA has written the interface to our controller.

SNIP

Yes he did and OR2800 functions very well. I found only 2 problems which are
beyond my knowledges.
1) as OR2800 has the feature of having + and - 14 degrees of overlap, CT,
and probably no one other communication software use this feature.
eg. if you are beaming JA at 40 degrees and you try and beam KH6 at 350,
OR2800 does not go CCW over zero degrees to 350, but, going CW make an
entire rotation to 350: very time comsuming.
In my opinion, rotator would "understand" that reaching 350 from 40 going
CCW is quicker than going 40 to 350 (a walk of 310 degrees), as using
overlap one could reach  going CCW 346 degrees. Any way to modify it?

2) this one is a little dramatic: as us in EU, mainly work across north
pole, usually we prefer SOUTH STOP for our rotators, so that you can span
between USA from 330, to JA at 40 gaining a lot of time crossing zero degrees.
Or2800 permits such a setting (SOUTH STOP, 180 to 180 for one whole
rotation), but when you try starting  (eg.) 20 to 300, rotator tries to
reach 300 crossing the SOUTH stop. AT few degrees over 180, the motor stops
turning as it ends on "end rotation". Of course, the right way would be
going CCW to 300, as rotator moves from 180, zero, 180 degrees.

Now the big question:
is there a way to use south stop but controlling rotator from a terminal
software? I could like to enjoy free moving across north pole, but also
controlling it, in a contest enviroment,  by CT. IMHO I presume CT has not
involved, but may be a modification to control box should be necessary.
On next saturday, weather permitting, I will finally fix on my tower my new
3CXL, so fixing rotator to north stop (sigh), or renouncing to computer
control would be a decision that I would take. Any help? Any chance to get a
new eprom, or something else that will permit me using south stop and
playing with computer?

Your help will be very appreciated.
Thank you!
Copy as many of you on next weekend.
Ciao Sante

Sante LILLO  (IK0HBN)
Localita' Saineta, 3
01030 Bassano in Teverina (VT) Italy
home telephone: +39 (0) 761-407543  (FAX on request)
E-mail: ik0hbn@isa.it
packet adr: IK0HBN@I0INU.IUMB.ITA.EU
DX cluster : IK0HBN > I0JBL-6