US TOWER TX489MDPL Series Towers Quest.

Leikhim, Joe jleikhim@nettally.com
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 02:31:15 -0500

Hey All;

I just purchased a used 7 year old US Tower TX489MDPL 89 foot
freestanding crank up (motorized) and raising fixture.

I am interested in responses from others familiar with this tower. It
appears to be in pretty solid condition, but I see that I should do some
cleaning up before putting serious loads on it.

1. I note that one of the aircraft cables has a 24 inch portion with
some moderate surface rust. The manual says to replace the cable every 3
years. (I doubt anyone replaces it that often, but if it comes down I
guess US Tower is off the hook if you haven't ordered a new cable from
them). At $200 for the cable set, how does one tell when it's ready to
be replaced?

2. Some of the galvanization has flaked off a couple of the angles which
ride down the inside of the tower, possibly from rotor torque. The rust
is very minor and should wire brush off easily. What paint or other
preparation should I treat those areas with??

3. Have you ordered US Towers $25 engineering packet? What does it
contain? Is the data sufficient enough so that I can determine from a
professional soil analysis, how much of a foundation is required, or do
I need a P.E. to interpret?

4. Does the engineering packet contain a detailed parts list so that I
can order bolts, nuts, etc to facilitate a decent overhaul??

5. What experiences have you had with this tower, anything to watch out
for? It is more a piece of machinery than a tower! One thing which
concerns me, is cable failure. Has anyone experienced this with an 89
footer?? What happened?? Has anyone devised a brake or other device to
cushion such a failure?

--
Joe Leikhim
Jleikhim@nettally.com

"tv dinner by the pool,
i'm so glad i finished school" -F.Zappa 1967