Telephone RFI Solutions

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Thu, 21 Nov 96 12:11:49 -0500

I assume RFI is an antenna system problem....

In the SSB SS, I had to QRT early due to a neighbor's RFI problem. The
problem apparently stems from my new R7000 vertical. I've had no reports
from my 125 foot doublet, other than some TVI in my hours (no doubt due
to the proximity to the end of the doublet, which I will raise
eventually).

I mounted the R7000 on an 8 foot mast near the back edge of my lot. It is
120 feet away from my house, and about 90 feet away from the
complaintant. His first floor is nearly level with the R7000. Another
neighbor, just beyond him, also noticed some RF pickup on their phone.
This is with only 100 watts, as I own no amplifier. And the entire
neighborhood has underground utilities.

I'd like to help solve the problem, just to be neighborly.

Any suggestions? What is most effective?

I've considered moving the R7000 from the back of my lot to a mast on a
wall bracket just behind my house. This would move most of the RF field
off the ground and above the houses and further away from my neighbors,
but I'm afraid RF might cause more of a problem in my own house. It would
probably make the R7000 a more effective antenna.

Think this would be more effective? Anyone know a good source of wall
mount brackets for an inch and 3/4 to two inch mast that offsets about 18
inches to 2 feet? (Radio Shack's wall mount only offsets 1 foot or so,
which isn't enough to clear my eaves.

I'm interested in entertaining any ideas. I did find the FCC CIB-10
bulliten and will order some to distribute to my neighbors.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR           Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901