Phillystran

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sun, 1 Sep 1996 11:59:52 -0400

>>  BTW, the only factory authorized terminations are the Big Grip preforms;
>no
>> cable clamps allowed.
>>
>>    Well that may be their answere now that they are in the dead-end grip
>business...BUT I am
>sure you remember that 4 years ago they had a BIG revelation and you could
>use the
>appropriete wire rope cable clip.  That is exactly what the design engineer
/
>inventor of
>Philly told me when I called him about using wire nuts vs the old potting
>methode.  He seems
>to be right since my overloaded beast is still up.
>
>I Did use their grips to for the second tower, just because they are easier.

Hi, Jay --

     QSL.  When they introduced the new PVC jacket material several years
ago, they didn't have a grip designed specifically for Phillystran and so, by
default, the only thing they had left were cable clamps and the new jacket
was supple enough to use them. Over time it turns out that they had
deformation and cold flow problems with the aramid (Kevlar) fibers.  Now that
they have the Preformed grips available, the factory says NOT  to use cable
clamps.  FYI.

73,  Steve   K7LXC