submerged guy anchors

Dan Cisson dann4gnr@hartcom.net
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 18:06:22 -0400

Pete Smith wrote:

> Now I'm getting paranoid ...
>
> After the big rainfalls of the last few weeks, one of my guy anchors for my
> 100' Rohn 25 is still under water.  This is unusual, but is it a basis for
> concern?
>
> My anchors are Rohn-spec poured concrete, properly backfilled (they have
> been in the ground for just about a year).  My question is, any risk that
> this anchor could pull out, due to the water in the soil above it?  Or does
> that have the opposite effect, because of the weight of the water (assuming
> no erosion took place)?
>
> 73, Pete Smith N4ZR
> n4zr@contesting.com
> ... and not changing!
>
> --
> Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com

PETE, IF PUT IN AT FACTORY SPECS,YOUR ANCHOR WILL NOT COME UP,
EVEN IF WATER STAYS ON IT FOR NOW ON. THAT CHUNK OF CONCRETE
WITH A LITTLE OVERKILL, WEIGHS A BUNCH. BUT THATS NOT WHERE
THE ANCHOR GETS ALL OF ITS STRENGTH, ITS FROM THE BACKFILL,
OR BEING 3-5 FEET UNDER DIRT. THE CONCRETE SHOULD BE AS WIDE
AND LONG AS POSSIBLE,WHILE BEING ABOUT A FOOT THICK, GIVING
IT THE GREATEST RESISTANCE TO THE BACKFILL DIRT ABOVE IT.
73  DAN  dann4gnr@hartcom.net