How long for undisturbed soil?

Gary Nieborsky k7fr@ncw.net
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 08:20:23 -0700

At 05:45 PM 9/26/96 -0500, you wrote:
>How long must soil be undisturbed before it's considered "undisturbed".
>
>I'm planning on digging a tower base hole next spring. My ideal location in the
>yard is near the area of my now abandoned septic tank.  This area was dug up
>last November.  Will the soil in this area beconsidered undisturbed?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>John (WV9T)

John,

My resident staff Civil Engineer (If a yard of cement is overkill, 10 yards
is better) says that 100 years will get you to 90% of what it was, 500 years
will get you 99%..........

For those of us who can wait that long........a year is pretty good if it
wasn't compacted as it was put in...provided it has been wet and didn't have
large voids.  Remember, this is anecdotal data and is only provided for
entertainment purposes.

My Civil says: "Dig it all out and place it back in 6 inch lifts compacting
each lift to 90% as measured by a nuclear densitometer."

Gary K7FR