TopBand: EWEs

Bill Hider n3rr@erols.com
Sat, 14 Sep 1996 03:54:34 -0700

W8JITom@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Bernard

> >The big problem with any EWE 8what by the way does the abreviation mean) is
> >the horizontal section which radiates (and receives horizontal radiation) as
> >well.
> >Far better than an EWE seems a pair of short, phased verticals, because with
> >the horizontal wire section you do nothing else than replacing the feeding
> >line that brings the two antennas into the proper phase angle.
> >With coax as phasing line you will not longer receive the horizontal
> >polarised field.
> >
> >73s
> >
> >bernard, oe4bku
>
> I agree totally.
>
> The EWE is a simple pair of verticals with a horizontal feedline. The array
> is small enough current is uniform and the vertical are fed cross fore with
> 180 degree shift plus the delay in the horizonal wire.
>
> The horizontal wire unfortunately is part of the radiator.
>
> Here at my location, a pair of short voltage probe antennas (ten ft
> verticals) does NOT work unless I have a large ground screen, the soil is so
> poor I can not decouple the feedline. In Ohio the same array worked quite
> well with only a few ground rods.
>
> The EWE behaved the same way, and that makes sense because it is a pair of
> verticals that are very ground dependent. The EWE also only worked with a
> large ground screen, and not quite as well as two ten ft verticals phased.
>
> 73 Tom
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/topband.html
> Submissions:              topband@contesting.com
> Administrative requests:  topband-REQUEST@contesting.com
have a pair phased to Europe and three others East, West and South.  I
plan to add another in phase with the South EWE.  I used the 15 ft/38 ft/
15 ft design which, BTW, has the best pattern/gain of any in the Feb 95
QT article.  I use them all on 80 and 160.

You gotta have a good ground though.  My soil is clay and I use 4 ft
ground stakes at each end.

Having no place for Beverages and having tried a Slinky Beverage (with
some success, mind you) the EWE is quite a performer!  Be glad to give
you more info if you want.

73!

Bill, N3RR@EROLS.COM