[TowerTalk] Quad Survey Results

James Meister meister@drs.com
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 13:38:29 -0400

Thanks to all that responded to my questions about the Cubex vs. Gem
4-element 5 band quads.

I received 15 responses; 9 about Gem, 3 about Cubex and 3 about other brands.

For the Gem quad, most responses were favorable from those using the
antenna, concluding that the short boom and tensioners provided a stable
antenna with minimal torque on the rotator.  The disadvantages were high
shipping costs, detuning in icy weather, and single feed point not as good
as Cubex's approach.

The people using the Cubex favored that antenna, but one person had bad
experiences with the long boom breaking.

Several people also suggested the Lightning quad or building your own using
spreaders from sources such as Antenna Mart.

I guess this is a little like asking whether one prefers Coke or Pepsi.
However, it is clear that the quad is a great antenna providing it is
maintained properly (we all knew that, didn't we?).

Jim, K2WU