[TowerTalk] Guy anchor help please

Steve Narducci nw9g@netusa1.net
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 19:52:21 -0500

Today the weather was good enough for me to get out and
start my 100 foot of rohn 25g tower.  I went to the farm
implement store and purchased three 42" screw augers with
a 6" screw at the bottom which has a 1/2" solid shank with
a welded loop at the top.  I used my post hole digger to
get down about 8 to 10 inches to get the auger started.
It was tough but I managed to get the augers down to the
top of their necks on the ground.
	My question.  Is this auger safe for 100 foot of
tower?  How much pull would it take to yank these out of
the ground?  Finally, should I put a bag of cement on the
top 10 inches of the auger that is in the cavity below the
ground level?  Or would that make any difference at all?
I am somewhat scared to climb this monster and I just
want it to be safe.  Thanks so much and 73's.....
Steve Narducci   NW9G