[TowerTalk] RE: Ground Rods + Conductivity

Hawkins, Bill w5ec@digitalexp.com
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 12:59:43 -0500

>Here in Kansas...with its rich soil (with some gumbo here and there) we have
>very good soil conductivity. >snip<

Speaking of ground conductivity--When I was in Sask. Canada last year
I noticed that the power lines had only one conductor-no neutral.
The pole transformers had one side connected to the ground wire
coming down the pole. Is the soil conductivity so good there that they
can use the soil as a conductor many miles from the generating station?
Is this a common practice in the states? Is it a safe practice?
Any ideas?

Bill W5EC