[TowerTalk] Re: Ground Rods

Weissman, Robert E. (Westport) RWeissman@cognizantcorp.com
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 14:27:48 -0400

It sounds like you are effectively reducing the contact area between the
ground rod and the soil.  I'm not certain that by leaching salty water
into the surrounding soil you make up for the contact area loss.

Some have tried to get the best of both worlds by using hard drawn
copper pipe as the ground rod.  They cross drill holes in the pipe along
its length, pinch the bottom end, drive the pipe into the ground, and
then periodically fill the pipe with either rock salt or Bentonite, so
that they can increase the conductivity of the soil that is in direct
contact with the pipe.