[TowerTalk] Replacing cable on US Tower

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 19:28:00 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-04-19 16:41:15 EDT, driller@mars.superlink.net (Steve
Meltz) writes:

> I would like to replace the aircraft cable used for retracting my
>  MA40 Tower.  Unfortunately, the manufacturer (US Tower) has not responded
>  to my requests on the way to do this (I have heard that it is a legal
>  issue - if I get injured attempting to replace the cable per their
>  instructions they may be held responsible).

      "Yes, we'll sell them to you but please don't use them or work on them
or install anything on them."  (The preceeding was an imaginary statement by
an imaginary manufacturer.)

      Tower manufacturer's are pretty sensitive to potential liability
exposure, as you've noticed.

      US Tower's factory line is that the cables and pulleys should be
replaced every three years.  But there aren't any qualified installers to do
it.  Talk about your Catch 22.

>  	Anyway, without stirring up a hornets nest of legal issues, can
>  anyone here tell me how to change the cable (and should it even be done ;
>  the tower is 3 years old).  I hereby absolve any repondents against any
>  responsibility they have or think they have; blah blah1!!

     First of all, how did you determine that your cables actually needed
replacing?  The main reason that it would need replacing is if there is
obvious damage, visible cable fraying or serious rust on the cables.  If none
of these conditions exist, don't bother; this is a practical answer not
endorsed by the US Tower factory.  Other crankup manufacturers such as
Hy-Gain and TriEx do not stipulate the three year scenario and advise twice
yearly inspections and hardware replacement if the above mentioned potential
problems are observed.

     The godfather of crank-ups, Lou Tristao, used to recommend cable and
pulley replacement every ten years.

     The pulleys should be replaced when the cables are replaced.

    Other than that, you may want spray a light cable lubricant on the cables
during your semi-yearly inspection.  DO NOT put heavy grease on the cables;
that just traps moisture in the cables.

73,  Steve   K7LXC