[TowerTalk] braided eyes and taxes

rattmann rattmann@cts.com
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 10:22:25 -0700 (PDT)

Rod, N4si wrote:

>Actually, an eye splice is fairly easy; all (hemp rope) splicing is
>easy. Before we got these real slick slings that Steve introduced us
>to, I took a 15' length of manila, unlaid 8' of it, made an eye
>splice, and relaid the rope back up. I then did an end splice on each
>end, and used the result as a sling or truss with a ready made eye
>for lifting antennas. I spent the better part of a midnight shift
>doing that. Thanks; your tax dollars at work.

K6NA writes:

With a Nicopress tool, three thimbles, and three sleeves, one can fabricate
a wire-rope bridle (sling) with an eye in the middle and eyes on each end,
in about ten minutes.

Voila!... large taxpayer savings.

Each end-eye terminates in a short eyebolt (either directly or via shackle,
your choice) which is attached to the saddle of a heavy-duty muffler clamp.
Loosely mount the two muffler clamps to the boom of the antenna, and slide
them around until you find the balance point.  Tighten clamps and lift the
antenna using the center eye.

Bonus:  You do knot have to trust anyone else to tie a proper rope bridle;
this one will never slip.

73, Glenn