[TowerTalk] Cleaning Roller Inductors in Tuners

Edward W. Sleight "k4sb@worldnet.att.net"@worldnet.att.net
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 19:55:09 -0700

Jim Pruitt wrote:

>         Can someone tell me what to use to clean the roller inductors used > in tuners?  I recently purchased a wanZer Z4M tuner.  It is impossible to  tune up on bands below 15 meters because there is no receive signal for 75% > or each turn.  That makes it impossible to tune for best signal when no  signal is present for most of the turn!  On 15 meters there is enough signal > getting through to actually pre tune but on 80 and 40 there is no signal. I  can run my finger around the turns and it will work for about an hour.  I don't want to use something that I will have to use on a regular basis nor do I want to use something that will corrode the coil!
>         Can anyone offer any suggestions?
>         Thanks
>
>         Jim Pruitt, WA7DUY
> Well Jim, I don't know what metal the roller coil is, but when I
was "overseas in the Navy" and the bosses decided to open up a
previously
closed room for whatever, I saw the crew wiping in Coke on everything.

When I asked, the Chief said "come back tomorrow LT"--I did and the
brass and copper fittings were being wiped clean with water, and they
looked like brand new. Other than that, I can think of silver cleaner,
brasso, a wire brush, or a very light concentrate of battery acid.
Maybe at 10 parts water to 1 part acid to start with.

73,

Ed