[TowerTalk] saddles

John Brosnahan broz@csn.net
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 08:40:50 -0600 (MDT)

>Since I don't do welding, and since some of my boom/mast plates are aluminum
>(on smaller beams), I'm thinking that I could drill the saddles and plates
>and use a couple of sheet metal screws to fasten the saddles to the plates.
>Would this be a problem with weakening of the plates or saddles? Has anyone
>done this?
>
>73/Jon AA1K

Jon

I have seen and used a number of saddles that have a third hole in the center.
Have used that hole to bolt the saddle to the plate and it works well.
Can't see
where it would weaken the saddle which is mostly in compression and if
the plate is that marginal so that you can't add another small hole for the
extra
bolt, especially with all of the other holes in the plate for the U-bolts
then you
had better get another plate!

&3  John  W0UN