[TowerTalk] tower height

T. A. Russell n4kg@juno.com
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 13:33:40 EDT

On Sun, 27 Apr 1997 09:55:35 -0500 (CDT) george fremin iii
<geoiii@bga.com> writes:
>>This is the age old antenna question!
>>
>>There is NO  SINGLE  OPTIMUM  HEIGHT, especially for the high bands.
>TWO
>>antennas at 40 and 80 ft are very effective with
>>switching for upper, lower, and both in phase.
>
>Tom,
>
>I aggree with your comments but, to ask the orignal question again.
>
>If I gave you a TH-7 and this was to be your only antenna
>for 20-15-10 and you wanted it to work "best" over an
>entire solar cycle at anytime of day or at any distance
>at what height would you put it?
>
>--
>
>George Fremin III
>Austin, Texas C.K.U.            "I'm on a mexican radio"
>K5TR                                           - Wall of Voodoo
>512/416-7010
>geoiii@bga.com

If I could only put up one tribander, I would still make it fairly low,

between 40 and 50 ft.  This gives a wide lobe that covers all of the

higher angles that are useful during daytime operation.  At 60 ft,

the antenna pattern starts to cut into useful angles for Europe and

Africa on 10 Meters.  Between 80 and 100 ft, there is a significant

NULL in the vertical pattern  at  angles useful for daytime DX on

both 10 and 15 Meters.  It would be nice to have another mid-band

tribander for 40/30/20 at 70 to 100 ft but that is not what was asked.

de Tom N4KG