[TowerTalk] The Other End of the Coax Recap

Brent Childers w5ww@hotmail.com
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 07:21:57 PDT

Well it's been about 2 weeks since the last reply to my question about how to
weatherproof the terminal connections of a Cushcraft 2 element 40 M driven
element.  Here are the replies, thanks to everyone who took the time to send a
reply.

73 de w5ww

Original Question:
Now that the coax connector subject has been addressed, I have a question about
the other end of the coax.  On the Cushcraft 40-2CD antenna, it's a split driven
element fed directly by coax. When you put ring connectors on the center
conductor and shield of coax cable, what is the proper way to seal the coax?
I'm curious to see what people do to keep things waterproof.

--------------------------
     You take care of this problem by using a high quality bead balun like W2AU
or such.  This also isolates the coax from the antenna.  A good thing.

     73

     Bill
--------------------------
Hi Brent: I'm sure you will get the usual amount of methods, but - as a
professional, I follow the recommendations of the mfg's.
     That is:
       After the connection is completed, wrap with Vapor Wrap, or "Monkey-shit"
as it is called in the trade. Then, a single total cover wrap of Scotch 88 tape.

Vapor Wrap is a putty-like material that comes in either individual pieces for a
single connector, or in a 3"X50' roll. This is wrapped around the connector and
worked in with the hands to remove any air
 bubbles. Then wrapped with '88' tape, it becomes totally immune from weather
and corrosion.

Amateur connectors usually are replaced periodically, due to the evolving of
amateur antennas, so the long term necessity of sealing is questionable. But,
connectors on commercial antennas must last
many years, and the above method assures trouble free service for the life of
the transline and antenna.
     73  de KL7HF
--------------------------
The DX Engineering baluns are "pigtailed" inside a length of 1.5" PVC with caps
on both ends.
A hole is drilled through one of the caps and and SO-239 attached to it.  Inside
the tube is a bead balun, that go to spades, that attach to small screws (from
the inside out).  A jumper from each side of the driven element can be connected
to the balun with wire with spades on both ends.  Hope you get this.  It's much
easier to do than explain HI!

     73...Scott K8DX
--------------------------
i put a balun there. the balun is feed with a pl-259 and the connection from the
balun to the beam is just pieces of wire with ring connectors on the ends. makes
things simple. guc luck.   henry  kb7rta  henry@rio.com
--------------------------
SIMPLE, USE A REAL BAULN AT FEEDPOINT INSTEAD OF THE COAX LOOP MONSTROSITY.
SEAL THE COAX AT THE BAULN FEEDPOINT WITH TAPE AND COAX SEAL.

     73 DE K3KO
--------------------------
K1VR:  I sealed with cable TV RTV (no acidic smell) and tape.
skotch brand black tape - followed by a coating of skotchkote....then another
light layer of tape to hide the skotchkote from uv

     ar

     k4oj
TOWER TECH has the aforementioned materials including the "monkey stuff"; it's
$3.00 per foot (good for 3 coax joints).

     73,  Steve  K7LXC