[TowerTalk] HF Multi-Band Vertical

Dale Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 18:15:48 -0500

Well, here it is, two days before the NAQP and my second radio's
antenna is in pieces in the garage.  A friend gave me the antenna
after I casually mentioned that I was looking for an old vertical to
use for radio2.  He says everything works except the 80m coil
(I don't even see the coil????!!!  Besides, I don't need 80m
coverage with this antenna for radio2, anyway).

I am told by my benefactor the antenna is a Hy-Gain 18-VT.  Now,
I am familiar from my childhood with what was my first commercial
antenna: the old venerable 14AVQ.  Maybe my friend missed a letter
somewhere and it is a 18-AVT or something like that.

Anyway, it all fits, but before I haul it out into the backyard and start
fooling with it, I thought I would ask if anyone has a manual on it and
can tell me what the segment lengths are supposed to be for the
CW portion of each of the bands.  Also, is there an option to not use
the 80m coil for 40-10m only operation?  If so, are the dimensions
different?

Thanks and 73,

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org