[TowerTalk] Gap Vertical

Ward Silver hwardsil@WOLFENET.com
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:44:08 -0700 (PDT)

> I have no experience with the other GAP antennas but I have read
> comments that make me believe they are similar.  My advice, try to find
> a used GAP.  There are a lot of people that hate them so you could
> probably find one at a good price.  Bill Frede W7II

As a user of a Voyager, I also find the performance on the lowest band to
be the poor-relation of the lot.  However, if you don't have trees or a
big yard, or want to operate portable, it is a lot better than an HF2V
with the 160 add-on kit or a mobile whip, etc.  It plays great on 80!  QRP
coast-to-coast QSOs are not difficult on this antenna.  It is unforgiving
of poor guying techniques or shortcuts.

The people that hate the Gaps have often purchased them with unreasonable
expectations, perhaps led to them by advertising claims.  One absolutely
must remember that there is no such thing as a free lunch, especially when
it comes to RF, and even more especially on the low bands.  If you expect
the Voyager to be a cheap replacement for a shunt-fed tower, inverted-L,
or full-size wire on 160, you will be sorely disappointed.

73, Ward N0AX