[TowerTalk] April Fool's Articles (I bet this become a whole new thread)

David Clemons dave@egh.com
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 16:03:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

	When I was a teenager, I remember reading an April Fool's article
in either CQ or QST which said that some heretofore unknown German scientist
had discovered that QRP operation worked better than QRO.  (His papers were
subsequently lost in WWII but recently were rediscovered.)  The theory
behind this astounding discovery was that QRO signals heated up the
ionesphere so much that most of their energy was lost.

	I believed this for several years, even occasionally detuned my HT-40
to "boost" my signal!  When I finally asked my Dad about it, he said he
remembered the article but that it was an April Fool's joke.  (I probably
didn't ask my Dad until I was older than 21 - the age that Mark Twain
noticed his father becoming quite a lot smarter.)  Too bad - it could have
saved many of us money spent on amplifiers...

73, Dave Clemons K1VUT