[TowerTalk] Coax breakin? (fwd)

Bob Scott bscott@thor.pla-net.net
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 20:41:38 -0500

> Hi all,
>
> I usually stay away from these kinds of topics. I had trouble
putting
> out the fire last time....
>
> I own a repeater here in Southern Maryland, and the club that I
belong
> to holds  Ham classes on a regular basis. As a result there are a
lot of new Hams
> on my  repeater. I get phone calls all of the time from long time
hams
> complaining about  them. Its the usual story: "Marty, you wouldn't
believe what so and so
> said on the  repeater." Then they tell me the story and they always
end it by saying
> "don't these  new hams know anything?" My response is always "Did
you know anything 10
> years  ago when you first started? Did you key up and set him
straight?" I have
> a LOT of  trouble getting the older hams to explain things to the
new guys. Every
> ham has to have an Elmer of some sort. I did, and most of you did
too.

> So before you get irritated and dismiss one of these new hams as an
> idiot, stop and think; Would it hurt if I took a couple of hours of
my time and helped
> him out????
>
> If we want properly trained hams operating on our bands WE HAVE TO
DO
> THE TRAINING!!!!!
>
> Ok, I'm back off of my soapbox now.... Have a nice day.
>
> 73, Martin N3HRT

Martin, I couldn't have said it better myself. I have only been a ham
for 4 years,
coming into the hobby as a no-code tech. I then upgraded to general,
and within
a year after that, my advanced ticket.  And, I am proud to say, I did
it all on my own.
I had no one to elmer me in theory or code. I wish I did. It would
have made it less
frustrating. I am now an avid contester (And chase some DX - 209
countries), and love
to play around with electronics. I build many of my own antennas, and
now lead our
local club on field day.

And I knew nothing about amateur radio (Or electronics for that
matter) before 1993.
I go out of my way now to help anyone interested in the hobby, or to
help anyone
upgrade. I try and learn something  each time I read about the hobby,
or build
something new. I need to keep learning, because in 20-30 years, "I"
will be one
of the old-timers!

Bob - KF9YH

Name: Bob Scott
E-mail address: bscott@pla-net.net or kf9yh@qsl.net
Web site: http://www.pla-net.net/~bscott/index.html
Amateur radio Web site: http://www.qsl.net/kf9yh
Amateur radio call: KF9YH
Member: Society of Midwest Contesters
Member: National Registry of E.M.T.'s (Paramedic)
Opinions expressed here are solely those of the author