[TowerTalk] Re: Tower Question

Claerbout, Ken k4zw@staffnet.com
Thu, 07 Aug 97 15:09:15 PDT

     It dawned on me last night as I was mowing the lawn that I could probably go with the guying dimensions for 110' tower since that is what I would have in effect.  The top guy could be moved down from 101' to 99' or so.  The only problem is that I do not have the room to go out 88' from the tower for guy anchors.  This may not be a problem since I wanted to elevate the guy point to keep someone from hanging themself in my backyard.
     On my 75' Rohn 25G I have one of the points elevated using a steel pipe, filled with concrete, with an OD of 3 1/2" and wall thickness of 1/4".  It works fine for this appliation.
     Are there others who have done this and would care to share their experiences?  This would seem to be an acceptable subsutitution for the traditional guy point provided the pipe & concrete base  is capable of handling the reactive loads as provided in Rohn's catalog.  Using a bit of trigonometry (remember that fun stuff), the location of the pipe and height can be obtained so that the guy lines are at the same angles and the load is distributed properly.

			73  K4ZW