[TowerTalk] Cadwelds

Kelly Taylor ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 13:08:19 -0700

Hi.

Despite several postings suggesting the words `exothermic' and `welding'
be added to the TT word filter, I ordered some CadWeld ONESHOTS for use
on ground rods. A few people have asked about how they work and I have
some advice for anyone wanting to use one, so a brief posting is in
order, IMHO.

Anyway, they work fine. They are more expensive than clamps, but provide
a better connection and don't require the purchase of extra
anti-oxidants, grease, etc. As an added bonus, there's a great fireworks
show when they go off.

A few points to consider: First, BUY THE CADWELD-SUPPLIED IGNITION TOOL.
A flame simply won't launch these and most consumer-oriented flint
igniters don't project the spark far enough to enter the mold and ignite
the material.

Second, if you get the kit for two wires to one rod, try and install it
such that you have ONE wire passing through the mold to the next
connection. I didn't and the process blew one of the wires out of the
mold before it could weld. In any event, secure the wire from movement
before lighting up.

Third, if you need to mail-order, I've had excellent results with The RF
Connection (email: rfc@therfc.com). I ordered three kits, and because I
didn't have the CadWeld lighter, I needed to add some material from the
third kit to the second to achieve orbit. I mentioned this in an e-mail
to rfc and they're having the warehouse ship another package of weld
material. That's excellent customer service, as far as I'm concerned,
especially since it would not have been unreasonable for them to say that
I didn't follow the instruction, so tough noogies.

Hope that helps anyone interested in exothermic welding and didn't offend
anybody who wanted the subject BANNED from the reflector.

73, kelly.
ve4xt@mts.net