[TowerTalk] 9:1 Baluns, What For?

Jim Reid jreid@aloha.net
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 15:47:47 -1000

At 06:33 PM 8/19/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Has anyone ever used a 9 to 1 balun, and if so, what was the application?
>Thanks

Hi,  I think,  the idea is to match 50 ohm coax to a V-beam
or rohmbic antenna which usually have pretty high impedance.
However,  they also have a lot of reactance,  and I don't
believe a balun really can do it's thing unless it is
seeing pure resistance,  and no reactance.  So, no telling
what happens in the real life travelling wave antenna application.

The usual way,  is to use balanced feeders,  and forget the line
vswr,  but use a balanced tuner twx'd rig and balanced line.

73,  Jim, KH7M