[TowerTalk] Open Wire Entry To Shack?

Lee Buller k0wa@southwind.net
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:59:16 -0500

At 03:07 AM 8/29/97 -0400, you wrote:

>How are people bringing open wire / twinlead feedlines into the shack?
>
>My house has a brick exterior, and I'm not fond of the idea of drilling
>through the brick. The windows are aluminum framed: are insulated
>feedthroughs passing through the aluminum an option, or will this affect
>the feedline characteristics?
>
>Can twinlead be run through a pipe through with the hardlines, or is this
>a "no-no" for this type of feedline? My current coaxial feedlines and
>control cables all come through the basement wall at ground level, and are
>routed through the shack floor.
>
>I might be able to replace a pane with plexiglas if necessary, but I'm
>looking for alternaties to this (multiple layers of glass).
>
>What are others doing?
>
>Jeff Maass

Jeff...

An alternative is to get a remote current balun from RadioWorks.  These
baluns will take 3 to 4 KW and mount outside the house.  The open line
feader is conneected to the balum and then coax is run to the transmatch.
Tuning is straightforward.  I've used these remote current baluns with good
success.

Lee Buller
k0WA@southwind.net

"The cable TV guys rewired my house...fire up the amp...not TVI!!!!)