[TowerTalk] 110 Vac up a tower

Stephen Vinson kd4wiw@ipass.net
Tue, 02 Dec 1997 20:10:57 -0800

Maybe I haven't read all the posts ... but what voltage do the tower
beacon and clearance lights run at.  I think the important factor is to
properly wire the tower...ground it (electrical lines) properly, GFI
breakers and common sense.  Would you work on a live electrical line
while replacing an outlet ... or would you try to fix a toaster while it
is plugged in.

I think Steve is right the best way is low voltage if possible ... if
not use more precautions and common sense.

If you have to work on the unit turn off the power.  If you can use low
voltage it is safer.  But towers have been lit with 110 voltage current
for many years ... just meet the code!!!

Ans not to get too far off the "tower" context ... does anyone have an
old 110 volt beacon flasher lying around ...

Thanks ... Steve keep up the good work !!!

Steve
KD4WIW
>     I don't remember what the NEC says about this thpe of installation. I
> think there is a 28 volt upper limit without the aforementioned conduit, etc.
> That's probably why rotators run 28 volts or DC.
>
>      And don't forget the GFI at the bottom.
>
> 73,  Steve  K7LXC
>
> --
> Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search