[TowerTalk] Line noise help

Dick Flanagan dick@libelle.com
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 11:02:51 -0800

Perhaps some TowerTalkians can help this fellow.  He is Bryan W5KFT
<bryan@prodistributors.com>.  Any responses to the reflector should also
cc: him.

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 10:48:24 -0600
To: dx@ve7tcp.ampr.org
From: Bryan <bryan@prodistributors.com>
Subject: Line noise help
Cc: vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu
Sender: owner-dx@ve7tcp.ampr.org

	For the last four years I have been fighting a major
line noise problem at my home QTH.  I live in a city that
has two power companies and they spend most of their time
pointing the finger at the other guy.

	The noise on 75 meters runs a continual S9 plus 10-20 db.
Once in a blue moon it will subside but is on almost 100% of the
the time.  The noise will run anywhere from S5 to S9 on the other
bands including 6 and 2 meters.

	I have been through a whole series of phone calls, letters,
and formal complaints to the offending power company over the years
but no success in getting it solved.  In early November I wrote a
formal letter of complaint to the manager of the utility company,
which is owned by the city, giving them notice that if the problem
was not resolved within 30 days that I intended to go to the city
attorney and the city council to get it resolved.

	I have talked to him again this morning on the phone and he says
the utility company has spent a lot of time in the last 30 days trying
to locate the problem.  They have isolated the noise down to a 69,000
KV distribution line that runs from east to west across the entire city
and within four blocks of my house.  The problem is that they can't
locate a specific "source" point for the origin of the noise.  They
know that it is on the 69 KV line but they are unable to find the exact
location that needs to be repaired. The utility company is using a
handheld scanner in the 300 Mhz range with a small yagi, but they have
been unable to find the noise source.  The noise is very intense along
the entire length of the line without points where it peaks.

	With my HF and VHF antennas, I can tell the noise is basically
south from my house but we have been unable to locate anything at the
point where my beam heading crosses the 69KV line or that area.

	Oh great guru's......I need ideas, help, or suggestions of how
to locate this problem.  I have finally got them motivated to solve
the problem, but we have to find it first.  Any suggestions would be
appreicated.

Bryan W5KFT

----
Forwarded via the Internet DX Mailing List
Submissions:                    dx@ve7tcp.ampr.org