[TowerTalk] Simple Dipoles

Lee Buller k0wa@southwind.net
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 15:57:40 -0600

Ok, here is one for you guys ....  now don't laugh!

I have been making dipoles out of #14 copperweld wire and mounting them at
50 feet on the tower in an inverted vee configuration for years.  The feed
point is roughly about two foot off from the tower.  Small lot
operation...ok?  They work OK, but seem to lack something.  I have used
Zepps that perform very well, but again bandwidth was not an issue.

One of the things that tick me off about a simple dipole is that the
bandwidth, say on 40 meters, is very poor.  If I cut the thing for 7050 and
the dipole matches very well at that frequency, by the time I am at 7250 the
match stinks.

Ok, so what's the beef?  I want to know what you hotshots do about broadband
dipoles.

Here is what I have experimented with with a modicum of success.

1. Two dipoles on the same feed line .... upper and lower part of the band.

2. Used RG59 as "wire" for the dipole to increase the thickness of the wire,
this increasing the bandwidth.

3. Used a tuner (I hate this for various reasons)

Ok, so what have you guys found out that you are not telling me?  And, why
haven't you told me yet?

Paranoid in Kansas....

Lee :>)
k0wa@southiwnd.net