[TowerTalk] Physical Conditioning

Roger C. Stimson avidham@sojourn.com
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 13:44:45 -0500

To all tower climbers:
     I want to second the suggestion about the physical effort required
by tower work!  My suggestion is that those of us who are planning tower
projects for the coming Spring start now getting into physical shape for
that work.   Two reasons: (1) tower work is very demanding of leg
strength and (2) it is easier to make safety blunders when you are
exhausted.  A sure sign of fatigue is when your legs begin to shake
involutarily!  You'll be a lot better tower worker if you are off the
tower before that happens since mistakes are more frequent as fatigue
increases.
     A good 30 minute workout thee times or more per week on a
Stairmaster or similar exercise machine will do wonders for your legs as
well as your cardiovascular system.  You can accomplish the same thing
by a regular walking or jogging program, but the advantage of the "stair
step" program is that it works out the specific muscle groups that we
use in tower climbing and antenna work.
     Roger K8RS