[TowerTalk] Climbing Alone

Dale L. Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 14:50:02 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Saul Abrams <abrame@rpi.edu>
To: towertalk@contesting.com <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Saturday, December 13, 1997 12:42 PM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing Alone

>Up here in the north (Albany,NY) I ran across some "winter" or late season
>golf gloves.

Good idea.  I use bicycle gloves, but they don't keep the warmth, but they
do keep your palms off the cold hard steel.

>In addition to being aware of the warmth of your hands, don't forget your
>feet. I have climbed down towers more times because my feet were cold than
>for my hands.

I wear my hiking boots when working on the tower.  With their hard, firm
soles, thick socks, my feet could stay up there for hours (the rest of me
wants down in an hour!).  I used to wear tennis shoes/running shoes, but
could feel the bar.  I don't feel the bar in hiking boots.  The grooves in
the boot soles seem to fit the horizontal bars very well and give an added
element of 'traction'.

73,
Dale, KG5U